Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Filebacked-tvbuffs : GSoC'13

From: Ambarisha B <b.ambarisha@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 20:31:52 +0530
On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 7:34 PM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
But the dissectors create the tvb from the reassembled data. So, if we
define a new type of tvbuff which has to be used, wouldn't that effect
the dissectors?

It shouldn't: dissectors should be using the TVB-accessor functions so they shouldn't care what kind of TVB they are handed.

Please bear with me, I may be missing something obvious here.

Reassembly code returns a fragment_data to a dissector(say, tcp dissector specifically). The dissector uses fragment_data->data in a call to tvb_new_child_real_data(). fragment_data->data points to a buffer containing the complete reassembled pdu. What will this data member contain incase of a reassembly implementation which uses filebacked tvbuffs?

Cheers
Ambarish