Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Idle Thought - Compiling with C++

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 13:53:08 -0800
On 2/12/13 1:17 PM, Jaap Keuter wrote:
> On 02/11/2013 06:36 PM, Evan Huus wrote:
>> Moving just to a C++ compiler shouldn't cause problems for anybody.
>> While C++ isn't technically a superset of C, it is trivial for C
>> programmers to avoid the few areas of incompatibility (as far as I
>> know there are simply a few more reserved words like 'new' to avoid in
>> variable names).
>>

> Add this the the reading list: http://david.tribble.com/text/cdiffs.htm
> May not be all applicable (C89 and such) but show what a can-o-worms it can be.
> That's probably where that 7k number comes from.

When starting on the Qt code I found the Google C++ Style Guide to be
helpful: http://google-styleguide.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/cppguide.xml
Anyone outside of Google probably shouldn't adhere to it strictly but
it provides clean, concise descriptions on why they do and don't do
various things.

We should steal the format for README.developer, BTW.