Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Idle Thought - Compiling with C++

From: Richard Stearn <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 17:18:39 +0000
A thought from the sidelines.  I have contributed to Wireshark, once.
I probably will not contribute again (unless I find another protocol
itch to scratch).  This is an observation from scratching that itch.

Creating suite of dissectors from the skeletons in the development
guide was not difficult.  When I did not understand how a particular
function worked it was a simple matter to find the code and read.
Often with object oriented languages it is not that simple as you
may need to follow the inheritance and the advantage of hiding the
detail rapidly unravels.

Would moving to C++ discourage or encourage potential contributors?
Can the complexity of the classes be controlled?
Is time/effort available to document the class hierarchy?

Because I am on the sidelines here I am not (and should not be)
saying "don't", just saying please consider carefully.

--
Regards
	Richard