Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 47326: / /trunk/tools/: checkhf-v2.p

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 15:21:39 -0500
On 1/28/2013 2:58 PM, wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Log:
  Re-implemention of checkhf.pl:
   Main objective: reduce the number of false positives.
   Normal usage: the same as for checkhf.pl.

  For now: named checkhf-v2.pl

I've just committed a re-implementation of checkhf.pl and named it checkhf-v2.pl.

I'm not really sure how to handle this type of situation:

1. Retire (delete) checkhf.pl and then commit new version
   with the same name. (It is a new program).
   (More or less completely hides the original; It's obviously
   still in the repository if you know how to find it).

2. Just commit the new version as a diff from the previous
   (essentially removing almost all the lines of the old and
   adding the new). (Keeps the history).

3. Give the re-implementation a different name.
   Keep the old in the repository.

Maybe #2 is the way to go....

Thoughts ?

Bill