Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Capture start and capture stop icons in the toolbar

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 19:12:43 -0800
On Dec 7, 2012, at 12:46 PM, Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2012, at 9:06 PM, Evan Huus wrote:
>
>> Some misc other things I've been thinking about:
>> - it would be nice if the "Capture on all interfaces" checkbox lived
>> in the column title as a master checkbox (see the "In Store" column at
>> [1] for an example).
>
> I think we follow (to some extend) the Human Interface Guidelines
> for GTK. Do they have something like this?
>
>> - it would be nice if the "Prom. Mode" column contained editable
>> checkboxes, and the "Capture all in promiscuous mode" was a column
>> master checkbox as well
>
> Same question as above.

Looking at the latest version of

	http://developer.gnome.org/hig-book/

the section on lists:

	http://developer.gnome.org/hig-book/3.7/controls-lists.html.en

doesn't seem to say anything about checkboxes in lists.

I've seen UIs with column-master checkboxes, if by that Evan means "the column title has a checkbox", on my Fedora+KDE virtual machine (so this is KDE, i.e. Qt-based, not GNOME, i.e. GTK+-based); the problem I had was that it wasn't *immediately* obvious that it was a column-master checkbox.

The only HIG I've found for KDE is most definitely what they call it - "a work in progress":

	http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG

and says even less than the GNOME HIG.

>> - the "capture interfaces" dialog has a button for each interface,
>> whereas the "capture options" dialog has double-clickable rows -- I'm
>> not sure which one is better, but we should pick one (I'm leaning
>> towards the buttons)
>
> You must be using Windows... Only on Windows you have a Details button
> in the capture interfaces dialog.

There's nothing inherently Windows-only in that regard; some of the information is Windows-specific (e.g., the so-called "NDIS friendly name", which is not the same as the actual "friendly name" presented to the user, and the NDIS "vendor description"), but some other information could be obtained (by platform-specific mechanisms).