Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Capture start and capture stop icons in the toolbar

From: Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 14:01:25 -0500
On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 1:47 PM, Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> For the Qt toolbar I created start and stop capture icons based on the
> media player/recorder "record" (circle) and "stop" (square)
> conventions[1][2]. "Record" makes more sense to me; we are recording
> packets to disk after all. It also makes things easier if we ever get
> around to adding a playback feature. My versions are
> capture_start_24.png, capture_start_active_24.png, and
> capture_stop_24.png in the "image" directory.

+1

> A media-player-ized "capture options" icon could be a record button with
> a superimposed wrench. I'm not sure about the "interface list" or
> "restart capture" buttons however.

+1 for the "capture options" icon.

I would suggest that (in qtshark) the entire "interface list" dialog
be merged into the "capture options" dialog - there's a large amount
of information duplicated between them and they do almost the same
thing already. The dialog should generally be rethought at the same
time, as the current "capture options" dialog is already quite busy --
perhaps splitting it into tabs is the way to go? With the dialogues
merged we only need one icon, which can be the record button with a
superimposed wrench.

For "restart capture" I would think we should be using a record button
with superimposed "refresh" circular arrow people know from web
browsing. Perhaps the current "reload capture file" icon would be
sufficient there?