Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 46320: /trunk/epan/dissectors/ /trun

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2012 10:09:32 -0500
On 12/02/2012 09:28 AM, Evan Huus wrote:
On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 5:28 AM, Jakub Zawadzki
<darkjames-ws@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:darkjames-ws@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On Sat, Dec 01, 2012 at 10:23:32PM -0500, Evan Huus wrote:
     > Is the needed scope for these addresses well defined?

    epan_dissect_init(edt) ... epan_dissect_cleanup(edt)

    It's still old (22/10/2012), not fixed problem:
    http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/201210/msg00189.html

Right, it is the same as that one.

I'm starting to think we tightened the scope of ep memory too much. I do
think that freeing it at the beginning of epan_dissect_run was wrong,
but I'm starting to wonder if the right place for it isn't in
epan_dissect_run at all (beginning or end) but is in
epan_dissect_cleanup instead. As a bonus I believe this may let us get
rid of the epan_dissect_run_with_taps function?

I was thinking last night that TVBs are good until the dissection of the next frame starts (which is why it's OK that 9/10 of the addresses in Wireshark point into the TVB) so it would make sense that ep_ memory have the same lifetime (again).

Why was ep_ changed again?  I guess I should go find the thread...