Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] fuzz failures not generating bugs

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2012 15:15:57 -0800
On 11/30/12 1:56 PM, Evan Huus wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>

>     On Nov 30, 2012, at 1:08 PM, Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx
>     <mailto:eapache@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     > I would think so. It's bothered me for a while that we didn't have
>     a way to distinguish between "brand new, nobody has looked at it
>     yet" bugs and "solution identified, but nobody wants to work on it"
>     bugs.
>
>     CONFIRMED is "somebody's looked at it and determined that it's
>     really a bug (as opposed to, for example, that's what it's supposed
>     to do)"; IN_PROGRESS is "solution identified and somebody's working
>     on it".  There's no separate "solution identified, but nobody wants
>     to work on it", or even "yes, it's a bug, but we haven't figured out
>     the cause yet" state; CONFIRMED covers those two.
>

> Yes, this is more precise than my definition. Launchpad provides TRIAGED
> which is "confirmed with enough information to fix, but nobody is
> working on it yet", but I haven't found it all that useful a state.
>

>     > Separating our current NEW bugs into either UNCONFIRMED or
>     CONFIRMED states seems like the right way to do that.
>     >
>     > While on the topic, I'd also love an "INCOMPLETE" state like
>     Launchpad (for bugs that are waiting on the submitter for more
>     information -- we seem to have a fair number of those), but I
>     suppose one thing at a time :)
>
>     Yes - a bug database I've worked with a state like that.
>
>     It also had resolutions along the lines of
>
>             NOTABUG - "that's what the software's supposed to do";
>
>             NOTOURBUG - "it's a bug in some other software that we use
>     (and that we can't or shouldn't work around)"
>

> These would be nice.

I updated Bugzilla's workflow earlier today. I added and INCOMPLETE
state and enabled UNCONFIRMED so we now have the following states:

UNCONFIRMED
CONFIRMED
IN_PROGRESS
INCOMPLETE
RESOLVED
VERIFIED

I also renamed the INVALID resolution to NOTABUG, renamed WONTFIX to
NOTOURBUG and disabled MOVED so we now have the following resolutions:

FIXED
NOTABUG
NOTOURBUG
LATER
REMIND
DUPLICATE
WORKSFORME

Fixing fuzz failure reporting required more work than expected but it's
working again as well.

Voting is enabled but for some reason it's not working.