Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] RFD: Limiting scope of ep_ memory

From: Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 12:43:49 -0400
On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Anders Broman
<anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

It's code that has been written to rely on the fact that ep memory
didn't used to be freed until quite late. It's not necessarily *wrong*
(although one could argue that the old ep behaviour was wrong) but it
certainly won't work with the way ep memory is now being freed.

> - I think the whole ep/se memory idea is optimizing for execution speed and as a bonus fewer memory leaks
>  Does this assumption still hold true e.g. ep_ is faster that g_malloc? (Changing back would be a nightmare I
>  suppose). But it seems like having ep memory is geting quite complicated.

I think reducing memory leaks is the primary goal, and execution speed
was a bonus. I agree that it's getting overly complicated though, see
my email from last week [1] for some thoughts on where I'd like to go
long-term.

> - My feeling is that mixing ep and g_malloced memory in pinfo is a bad idea.

Yes. Perhaps pinfo should have its own scope that is between ep and
se? This would be much easier given the changes suggested in [1].

Cheers,
Evan

[1] https://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/201210/msg00178.html