Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] RFD: Limiting scope of ep_ memory

From: Anders Broman <anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 15:18:32 +0000

From: wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Martin Mathieson
Sent: den 14 oktober 2012 23:33
To: Developer support list for Wireshark
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] RFD: Limiting scope of ep_ memory

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 10:20 PM, Jakub Zawadzki <darkjames-ws@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 02:02:53PM +0000, Anders Broman wrote:
> Why not make a patch that developers can try out and start debugging?

Attached.

PS. I'd rather want to hear comments, rather than debugging...

I would be in favour of having having the trunk build fail (hopefully with a useful warning) whenever someone accesses ep memory after dissection of the packet has finished.  Hopefully there won't be too many places where it is still being accessed late and problems can be fixed quickly.  The only place I've seen so far is tcp_graph.c (and rlc_lte_graph.c, which had copied the same approach to identifying the stream/channel by dissecting just the currently selected frame).  I did review a couple of other taps but didn't see the same problem.

Martin

I think it sounds like the right thing to do and as no one have any objections I think you might as well go ahead and check it in :-)
Regards
Anders