Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] converting pcapng to pcap

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 11:11:14 -0700
On Sep 28, 2012, at 10:39 AM, Albert Lo <ALo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would like to know where I can find the source files for editcap.
> What libpcap API's are being called to convert .pcapng to .pcap with the following cmd?
>
> >editcap -F libpcap -T ether file.pcapng file.pcap

As Jakub noted, we don't use libpcap to read or write capture files.

However, if you convert pcap-ng to pcap with the command

	tcpdump -r file.pcapng -w file.pcap

on a system with libpcap 1.1.0 or later, the APIs used are

	pcap_open_offline(), to open the input file;

	pcap_loop(), to read the packets;

	pcap_close(), to close the input file;

	pcap_dump_open(), to open the output file;

	pcap_dump(), to write to the output file;

	pcap_dump_close(), to close the output file.

That will, of course, only work if the file can actually be converted to pcap without damaging it, i.e. if all the interfaces in the pcap-ng file have the same link-layer type.  If they don't, the file cannot be represented in a pcap file in any form that will actually give the write answer if you try to read it (so "-T ether" isn't going to fix that problem with editcap).