Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] converting pcapng to pcap

From: albert <alo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 18:43:29 +0000 (UTC)
Guy Harris <guy@...> writes:

> However, if you convert pcap-ng to pcap with the command
>
> 	tcpdump -r file.pcapng -w file.pcap
>
> on a system with libpcap 1.1.0 or later, the APIs used are
>
> 	pcap_open_offline(), to open the input file;
>
> 	pcap_loop(), to read the packets;
>
> 	pcap_close(), to close the input file;
>
> 	pcap_dump_open(), to open the output file;
>
> 	pcap_dump(), to write to the output file;
>
> 	pcap_dump_close(), to close the output file.

Thank you for the prompt response.
If you could tolerate a couple more newbie questions.....

I'm assuming that the meat of the .pcapng to .pcap conversion is done in the
pcap_handler callback  for pcap_offline_read().  Is this correct ?

If so, how/where does the callback function for pcap_offline_read() get pre-
assigned?

Much appreciated for your time in this matter.

Cheers,
Albert