Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Adding support for pcap-ng to dumpcap or reading from pipes

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 16:10:49 -0700
On May 12, 2012, at 12:43 PM, Jakub Zawadzki wrote:

> Do we really need to "capture" from pipes in dumpcap?

I believe the ability to capture from a pipe was introduced in order to handle capturing from sources that libpcap/WinPcap don't handle (e.g., "ssh over to machine XXX and run tcpdump on it, capturing to the standard output" or "capture from some network type that libpcap doesn't (yet) handle") - a program that captures from that source and writes pcap output to its standard output could be used as a capture source.

Ideally, that should be supported by libpcap/WinPcap, but "capture from a pipe" can be a useful workaround in cases where that hasn't yet been implemented.

I.e., it wasn't done to support reading from a pipeline such as one that has a program that reads a capture file, transforms it, and writes it to its standard output, it was done for use in a true capture situation (so that, for example, Wireshark would need to write the packets to a file for examination at arbitrary times in the future).