Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] gsm system information parsing

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 14:32:17 +0100
2012/3/14 Tom Mayer <ran-kun@xxxxxx>
Hi everyone,

I have been working on a mobile project for university and have used wireshark together with the osmocombb framework analyze gsm traffic.

In my project I get the raw System Information 2/2ter/2bis messages and I need to extract the neighbouring cell information from it. The format is supposed to be specified in GSM 04.08 but it is only a partly description and it seems I cannot find a full desscription.

I have seen wireshark has a parser for this, at least it dispolays the neighbouring cells extracted from a System Information message. Can anybody give me a hint to where to find the respective parsing code in the wireshark code (pretty unfamiliar with the wireshark codebase) or where to find the full specifications.

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Tom

Hi Tom,

The code in Wireshark can be found in epan/dissectors/packet-gsm_a_rr.c
The corresponding 3GPP specification is 44.018: http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/html-info/44018.htm

Regards,
Pascal.