Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Sample Captures from wireshark repository

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 22:20:26 -0800
On Feb 16, 2012, at 10:07 PM, vijay wrote:

> Thanks for the response. Yeah i got it wrong, it was  "Unrecognized libpcap format" . The file I downloaded has .cap extension which I believe is not pcap format.

The suffix does not inherently indicate the file format, but pcap files are generally named ".dmp" or ".pcap" rather than ".cap", and the file formats (plural!) that normally use ".cap" aren't pcap format (Network Monitor format, Windows Sniffer format, probably others - not much imagination here, a lot of sniffer makers probably just say "hey, it's a capture, let's call it ".cap"!").