Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 40352: /trunk/ /trunk/macosx-support

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 11:55:30 +0100
On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 12:16:49PM -0800, Guy Harris wrote:
> On Dec 31, 2011, at 8:20 AM, jmayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=40352
> >
> > User: jmayer
> > Date: 2011/12/31 08:20 AM
> >
> > Log:
> > - Update the graphical packages
> > - Newer versions of glib etc require xz. At least Snow Leopard
> >   does not provide xz, so (unconditionally) download and install this first.
>
> Require it to build - i.e., GLib now uses APIs from liblzma - or only require it to decompress the source tarball?  It looks as if GLib 2.28.8:
>
> 	http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/glib/2.28/
>
> has both .xz-compressed and .bz2-compressed tarballs, whereas earlier releases had both .gz-compressed and .bz2-compressed tarballs.
>
> If it's only needed to decompress .xz-compressed tarballs, we could use the .bz2-compressed tarballs, instead; Mac OS X does come with bzip2, so we wouldn't need to install anything.

You are correct on both counts:
- xz is needed to unpack the file - the comment in the script is correct.
  I incorrectly remembered that when I made the commit.
- After the gz file was gone, I noticed the new xz file and never checked for
  other formats.

> On the other hand, xz seems to compress a lot tighter than bzip2:
>
> 	glib-2.29.92.tar.bz2     18-Sep-2011 16:38  7.2M
> 	glib-2.29.92.tar.xz      18-Sep-2011 16:38  5.4M
>
> so if xz can be quickly downloaded and installed, that might save enough time on the subsequent downloads to make it worthwhile.

Configuring, building and installing takes ~45 seconds on my system. Add to this
a 1 MB download. So if there are no objections, I'll leave it as is (and check
whether other packages also come in .xz format). Otherwise I'll change the stuff
to bzip2.

 Ciao
       Jörg