Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Template for external dissector plugin

From: Reinhold Kainhofer <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 11:00:59 +0100
On 20/12/2011 17:12, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
On 20/12/2011 16:36, Jaap Keuter wrote:
Just for my information, is this the crux of your location independance?

find_package(Wireshark)
include_directories (${WIRESHARK_INCLUDE_DIRS})

Yes, the cmake/FindWireshark.cmake file (which is executed with the find_package) locates the libwireshark.so library and the wireshark headers (e.g. /usr/include/wireshark).

BTW, I just realized that by default wireshark does not install any headers (but installs the wireshark.so library). Ubuntu manually installs the following headers with the libwireshark-dev package (the rule to install those files is only in debian/rules):
   color.h
   config.h
   register.h
   epan/*.h
   epan/crypt/*.h
   epan/dfilter/*.h
   epan/dissectors/*.h
   epan/ftypes/*.h

Is there a particular reason that's speaking against installing those header files (which would make plugin development much easier, since you don't need to modify the wireshark source tree -- or even have it available)?

Cheers,
Reinhold
Reinhold Kainhofer, reinhold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, http://reinhold.kainhofer.com/
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886