Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] How to handle Ethernet frames with FCS, malformed packet in PN d

Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 15:47:44 +0200

Hi,

I’m currently implementing a new pcap link-layer type which contains an Ethernet frame including the FCS (see LINKTYPE_NETANALYZER on http://www.tcpdump.org/linktypes.html).

Now I have observed a problem with the PROFINET dissector, I’m not sure how to deal with it, and I’m not sure if even other dissectors are affected.

From the pcap file I read:

+----------------------+

+ Link_layer header    +

+----------------------+

+                      +

+ Ethernet frame data  +

+                      +

+- - - - - - - - - - - +

+ Ethernet FCS         +

+----------------------+

The WTAP dissector dissects the link-layer header and generates a new tvb subset containing only the Ethernet frame data + FCS (cuts of the link-layer header). This tvb subset is passed to the “eth_withfcs” dissector.

In pcap_read_post_process() I added the new encap type and set the pseudo-headers FCS length to 4:

case WTAP_ENCAP_NETANALYZER:

    pseudo_header->eth.fcs_len = 4;

    break;

Now I open a pcap file containing a PN-PTCP DelayRes frame, which results in a malformed packet expert info “exception occurred”. Looking at the packet-pn-rt.c source code in dissect_pn_rt() there are some manipulations regarding pinfo->pseudo_header->eth.fcs_len and tbv reported length.

If I change my assignment in pcap_read_post_process() to

pseudo_header->eth.fcs_len = -1;

the frame can be dissected correctly without error.

Now my question:

I thought I have to set pseudo_header->eth.fcs_len to 4, as the tvb contains the FCS, but this does result in false dissection of packets. Am I wrong and do I have to set pseudo_header->eth.fcs_len to -1? Will this work witch all other dissectors? Or is the behaviour a bug in the PN dissector?

Regards,

Holger

Hilscher Gesellschaft für Systemautomation mbH
Rheinstr. 15, 65795 Hattersheim
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hattersheim
Geschäftsführer: Hans-Jürgen Hilscher
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Frankfurt/Main
Handelsregister: Frankfurt B 26873
www.hilscher.com