Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Ready to remove all non-ui-manager code?

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 09:46:48 +0200
Am 14.09.2011 23:59, schrieb Joerg Mayer:
Hello,

would it be OK to remove the non-UI-MANAGER code in gtk/?
I haven't seen any ongoing work in that area, so what (if anything) is
missing from the UI-MANAGER codebase?
The only things that come to my mind are the proto_help stuff and the
gtkvumeter stuff. The proto_help stuff isn't really cared for by its
original author and so far nobody has stepped up to convert it. If I
remember the discussion about gtkvumeter correctly, it may be either
removed or replaced by some other vumeter.
Are there any other points?
If there are no convincing arguments and nobody beats me to it, I'll remove
the old stuff about a week from now.

I've added the gtkvumeter stuff years ago in the hope it get's more used in the UI - which is not the case.

I still believe that displaying values as in the attached screenshot (at places where such a display format makes sense) is far more informative than simply "-62 dBm".

However, if it now gets in the way of improving the codebase and no one cares improving Wireshark in this regard, I'd say just drop it.

Regards, ULFL