Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Compilation error 2

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 09:48:44 -0400
Anders Broman wrote:
Hi,
gcc version 3.4.3 20041212 (Red Hat 3.4.3-9.EL4)
tempfile.c: In function `create_tempfile':
tempfile.c:197: warning: implicit declaration of function `time'
tempfile.c:198: warning: implicit declaration of function `strftime'
tempfile.c:198: warning: implicit declaration of function `localtime'
tempfile.c:198: warning: passing arg 4 of `strftime' makes pointer from integer without a cast
make[2]: *** [wireshark-tempfile.o] Error 1
Including time.h solves the problem, should that be added? Why is this turning up now, for this compiler?

On my Fedora Core 10 system (glib 2.18) glib.h includes gdate.h which includes time.h .

On a RHEL 4 system (glib 2.4), gdate.h does not include time.h but instead has this comment:

/* make struct tm known without having to include time.h */

So I'd guess including time.h is the right thing to do here. (I think some other glib 2.4 systems--like Solaris 10--get time.h through other headers like select.h which comes in through types.h .)