Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Better support for writing statistics taps?

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 13:59:36 -0400

That would be great.

Although I was going to use this tap-writing exercise to finally dig a little bit deeper into gtk whenever I got the chance, unless someone beats me to it :), but ultimately it would be better to not have to write two taps.

> To what extent does the stats tree stuff do this already, and what more
> stuff could be added atop it to take even more work away from
> statistics tap writers?

Good questions.  Since I'm new to taps and haven't made use of the stats tree stuff before, I'm not really sure at this point.

> (And to what extent is the stats tree stuff documented, for the benefit
> of tap writers?)

Documentation is provided via doc/README.stats_tree, which I did look at briefly, but it didn't seem to me to be a usable solution in this case, although I admit, I haven't worked with the stats_tree before and so I don't have a good feel for exactly what it can or can't do.  The tap-rpcstat example mentioned in README.tapping seemed more straightforward to me, so I followed that.  But that said, if you're implying that I could have used the stats tree stuff for the ICMP statistics, then I can certainly try to take another look at it.

- Chris

- END OF MESSAGE -

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this email are confidential
and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient. If you receive this
email in error, please delete it from your system immediately and
notify us either by email, telephone or fax. You should not copy,
forward, or otherwise disclose the content of the email.