Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Better support for writing statistics taps?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 13:26:35 -0700
On Apr 5, 2011, at 1:22 PM, cmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=36480
>
> User: cmaynard
> Date: 2011/04/05 01:22 PM
>
> Log:
> Add ICMP tap support, and add a tshark tap to measure such things as:
>   * Number of ICMP echo requests, replies, lost replies and percent loss.
>   * Min, Max, Average SRT (Service Response Time), and standard deviation.
> (This is my first tap, so hopefully I didn't miss something, but we'll see ...)
> TODO: Add a Wireshark tap.

TODO: add more infrastructure so that

	1) statistics tap writers don't have to write as much code

and

	2) you can "write once, run in both Wireshark and TShark".

To what extent does the stats tree stuff do this already, and what more stuff could be added atop it to take even more work away from statistics tap writers?

(And to what extent is the stats tree stuff documented, for the benefit of tap writers?)