Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] setting up for win32 development

From: "Chaswi Przellczyk" <cp70@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 10:52:55 +0200
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 17:27:30 +1000
> Von: Risto Paasila <risto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> An: Developer support list for Wireshark <wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Betreff: Re: [Wireshark-dev] setting up for win32 development

> On 4 April 2011 15:37, Anders Broman <a.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >  Risto Paasila skrev 2011-04-04 06:23:
> >
> >  Hi,
> >
> > I'm using
> > http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChSetupWin32.html to set
> > up the environment, in order to compile wireshark under windows.
> >
> > However, while doing the verify tools check, I keep getting this problem
> > (tried on 2 seperate machines):
> >
> > Setting environment for using Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 x86 tools.
> > C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC>cd \wireshark
> > C:\wireshark>nmake -f Makefile.nmake verify_tools
> > Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 9.00.30729.01
> > Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
> > /cygdrive/c/wireshark/tools/win-setup.sh: line 6: $'\r': command not
> found
> > /cygdrive/c/wireshark/tools/win-setup.sh: line 14: $'\r': command not
> found
> > /cygdrive/c/wireshark/tools/win-setup.sh: line 29: syntax error near
> > unexpected
> > token `$'{\r''
> > 'cygdrive/c/wireshark/tools/win-setup.sh: line 29: `err_exit () {
> > /cygdrive/c/wireshark/tools/win-setup.sh: line 6: $'\r': command not
> found
> > /cygdrive/c/wireshark/tools/win-setup.sh: line 14: $'\r': command not
> found
> > /cygdrive/c/wireshark/tools/win-setup.sh: line 29: syntax error near
> > unexpected
> > token `$'{\r''
> > 'cygdrive/c/wireshark/tools/win-setup.sh: line 29: `err_exit () {
> > NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'c:\cygwin\bin\bash.EXE' : return code '0x2'
> > Stop.
> >
> > Could you please advise me how to get around this problem.
> >
> >  Thanks in advance...
> > Risto
> >
> >  If you are building 1.2 or 1.4 you may to have to apply this patch
> > http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc?revision=35788&view=revision
> > If you want the latest and greatest you are better off building from
> trunk.
> > Best regards
> > Anders

> Thank you.
>
> I tried with 1.4.4, but it was still the same.
> Then I downloaded 1.5.0, and same problem once again.
> Now I am trying getting subversion and will try out the trunk version.
>
> Regards
> Risto

Dear Risto,

can you verify that your environment is setup correctly (e.g. cygwin is installed) and that your download is ok? Seeing '\r' as carriage-return in a bash-error seems odd. I've checked my own win-setup.sh and found that lines are indeed terminated with 0x0A (unix-standard) instead of 0x0D0A (dos and windows standard). That's not your problem.
I would suggest you open your win-setup.sh and check if there's a valid shell-script inside that file and then check the setup of your environment. I recommend not to deviate from the guides on the website.

Regards,
CP.