Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Staus of ASN.1 dissectors - RRC and NAS-EPS (for LTE)

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 11:33:29 +0100
Hi,

2011/2/18 Karl-Heinz ECKSTEIN <karl-heinz.eckstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Vincent,

Hello Anders,

It looks like we all have a common mother!  J Interesting!

Many thanks for your hints!

Right now have the problem, that we receive a crash on wireshark, when we open the pcap file including one NAS-EPS(LTE) message.

The error message tells us:  “Runtime Error! – Program: C:\Program Files\Wireshark\wireshark.exe – This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application support team for more information.”

What we have done before?

We “captured” a NAS (LTE) message outside of wireshark. This message was just extracted from a trace line, we receive from LTE platform (UE). This NAS message is expected to be correct.

Then we translated this text line (adding  a ‘000000’ in front of the NAS message) to pcap format. We use the command:

"c:\Program Files\Wireshark\text2pcap.exe" -l 147 NAS_message_test_6.txt NAS_message_test_6.pcap

We use a preference setup for the User 0 (DLT-147) and reference to protocol NAS-EPS in wireshark. (User 0 (DLT=147), NAS-EPS,0,””’,0,””

When we start wireshark, we crash.

Do we something wrong, or could it be an error?

You must use nas-eps and not NAS-EPS. That's why Wireshark crashes.
Moreover the pcap you generated is not correct:
0000  07 41 71 08 29 26 08 30  00 00 00 04 05 80 c0 00
0010  00 00 00 04 02 01 d0
It lacks the last byte (11), leading to a decoding error.

Regards,
Pascal.

Many thanks!

Best regards