Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] tshark run during build with plugins gives register_subtree_

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 12:36:43 -0800
On Feb 10, 2011, at 12:16 PM, Turner, Jay wrote:

> Platform: Windows XP Pro SP3, MS VS 2008, Wireshark 1.4.3.
> I built Wireshark with three plugins.

I.e., with three plugins that you (or somebody else) wrote (as opposed to plugins that are part of the Wireshark distribution)?

> All compiled successfully. Wireshark was built. At the line in the build:
> wireshark-gtk2\tshark.exe -G | perl doc\dfilter2pod.pl doc\wireshark-filter.pod.template > doc\wireshark-filter.pod
> a GUI Error dialog appeared saying:
>         ** ERROR **: register_subtree_array: subtree item type (ett_...) not -1 ! This is a development error: Either the subtree item type has already been assigned or was not initialized to -1. aborting...

Perhaps one of your plugins is listing an ett_ value twice in the array it's passing to proto_register_subtree_array() ("the subtree item type has already been assigned"), or perhaps you didn't initialize the ett_ value to -1 when you declared it ("was not initialized to -1").

> This built well on Wireshark 1.0.3.

Perhaps Wireshark 1.0.3 didn't check for that particular development error, so it let the code get away with it.