Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Eclipse project for Wireshark

From: Dietfrid Mali <karx11erx@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 22:26:09 +0100
> Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 12:32:44 -0700
> From: steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Eclipse project for Wireshark
>
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 07:45:23PM +0100, Dietfrid Mali wrote:
>
> > I have been trying to build Wireshark using Eclipse, but I am running
> > into missing header and C files all the way (particularly with many of
> > the decoders in the ASN1 source tree). The reason is that I want to
> > add a few new codecs using libspandsp, have failed in properly adding
> > them so far
>
> The asn1 source tree contains template files and specification files
> that are merged together and use #line and #file pre-processor
> directives to show where everything came from. There shouldn't be a
> problem finding any headers.

When throwing a bunch of C source files at Eclipse, it simply assumes it should build all of them and create an executable from them. While I could easily tell it not to build the tools the source of which is contained in the source code I have checked out from the Wireshark SVN repo, I cannot tell which other files are auxiliary, so Eclipse is indeed throwing a lot of file not found errors both for C source and header files, particularly when building stuff from the ASN1 subfolder. So?

> > would like to be able to conveniently debug Wireshark using Eclipse's
> > built-in graphical gdb frontend.
>
> You could always try emacs :)

I could also sow a button to my cheek ... or use DDD (Eclipse's gdb GUI is much better though). Avoiding good tools when developing software is a kind of masochism I don't share. ;)

> > Is there an Eclipse project available for building Wireshark on Linux?
>
> Not that I'm aware of.
>
> > If no, is there general information available how to build Wireshark
> > w/o using the automake stuff it comes with by default?
>
> We have cmake build files.

I could as well analyze the automake hell Wireshark comes with. ^_^
Btw, I would have happily used the Wireshark VS solution to see how to add spandsp codecs, but to my horror I found out that it used some nmake hell just as well ... and required bash (Cygwin/mingw?) which I don't have installed on my Windows machine (why should I).