Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 35393: /trunk/epan/dissectors/ /trun

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 11:54:44 -0500
Anders Broman wrote:
  Martin Mathieson skrev 2011-01-06 17:03:
Thanks, I do believe that this is a special case - I wouldn't want to use tvb_get_ptr() anywhere else.

Regards,
Martin

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws <http://jeff.morriss.ws>@gmail.com <http://gmail.com>> wrote:

    Hi Martin,

    Yeah, the code looked safe, I've just been on a mission to reduce
    the usage of tvb_get_ptr() (which I'd love to put in the category
    of "do not use!"--the only problem there being that it's used all
    over the place).  It did occur to me later that it might be
    slower;  I'll revert the change in a bit.

    Regards,
    -Jeff

    Martin Mathieson wrote:

        Jeff,
        I made the change to use tvb_get_ptr() because a profile
        showed that getting the strings each time was quite slow.
        The reason I thought this is safe is that this protocol is
        really a header written out by the corresponding wiretap
        module, so it should be well-formed (if the file being read
        isn't well-formed that will be rejected by the wiretap module).

        I can't remember how much slower it was, but it gets done
        several times for each frame read from the file.

        Best regards,
        Martin

Could tvb_get_ephemeral_stringz() be made more efficient?

I suppose that most of the work is fixed: allocating some (ep) memory, (in the case of the *z functions, finding the length of the string), then doing the memcpy(). I can't think of any meaningful optimizations.

Martin, I assume the pre-tvb_get_ptr() code here was similar to this change in that it only retrieved the string once? (I ask since several of the strings are used multiple times.)

I suppose for cases like this a get_string function that uses the TVB as the backing store (and only pushes the tvb_get_strsize()+tvb_get_ptr() out of the dissector and into tvbuff.c) might be an option to help reduce the prevalence of tvb_get_ptr() in dissectors. That may not be a bad idea because I think I saw some other dissectors doing the same thing as this one--and why take the performance hit?