Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 35393: /trunk/epan/dissectors/ /trun

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 10:58:46 -0500
Hi Martin,

Yeah, the code looked safe, I've just been on a mission to reduce the usage of tvb_get_ptr() (which I'd love to put in the category of "do not use!"--the only problem there being that it's used all over the place). It did occur to me later that it might be slower; I'll revert the change in a bit.

Regards,
-Jeff

Martin Mathieson wrote:
Jeff,
I made the change to use tvb_get_ptr() because a profile showed that getting the strings each time was quite slow. The reason I thought this is safe is that this protocol is really a header written out by the corresponding wiretap module, so it should be well-formed (if the file being read isn't well-formed that will be rejected by the wiretap module).

I can't remember how much slower it was, but it gets done several times for each frame read from the file.

Best regards,
Martin