Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Problem with dev environment

From: Gregory Seidman <gsslist+wireshark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 12:44:02 -0500
Note that I am working with the source for 1.2.1 (ugh, I know) because
that's what we're still using. Yes, I wish I could get on a more current
version, but for now I can't.

I've successfully set up a development environment on WindowXP Pro before,
but I'm setting up a new machine and I've hit a wall. I have the source,
and I have the support libraries. I can do the setup without a problem (i.e
nmake -f Makefile.nmake distclean verify_tools setup works fine). When I
try to actually build, however, it fails on the very first attempt to
compile something, which happens to be lemon. The error is

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'C:/Perl/lib,C:/Perl/site/lib,.'

I have ActiveState Perl installed on this machine, which is different from
the other machine I successfully set up (I think... I no longer have access
to that machine and it's been almost a year). I believe this is causing the
issue, but I don't know how. I've tried setting PERL to be /usr/bin/perl in
the config.nmake to make sure it was using the right one, changing the PATH
environment variable, and even moving aside the entire C:\Perl directory.
When I verify_tools it shows that it's using /usr/bin/perl but the error
above persists.

I've checked my environment variables, the entire source directory tree,
and even the entire registry for anything mentioning Perl/lib or
Perl/site/lib or even just site/lib and I can't find anything that looks
like it might be able to cause this. Perl is never called by the make
process before the error, so I don't know where this is coming from. Does
anyone have any suggestions?

--Greg