Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Reduce memory consumption by re-reading data from file for r

From: Jakub Zawadzki <darkjames@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 00:01:11 +0100
On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 05:48:13PM -0400, Jeff Morriss wrote:
> REMOVE would mean "unmap the memory"

We really don't want to use MADV_REMOVE (even on Linux)
#v+
  Application wants to free up the pages and *associated backing store.*
  *This is effectively punching a hole into the middle of a file.*
#v-

Anyway it seems that you more care about address space than about data redundancy
so mmap() idea is completely wrong here :)

eot for me.