Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Reduce memory consumption by re-reading data from file for r

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 18:32:25 -0400
Jakub Zawadzki wrote:
On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 11:50:58AM -0700, Guy Harris wrote:
I like Jeff Moriss idea about mmap()ed files.
...which consume address space, so, again, if the problem is running out of address space,
rather than running out of main memory+backing store for anonymous pages, that won't help.

Ok, but what is MAIN problem? That wireshark run out of address space or oom?

I suspect the answer is Yes. ;-)

Most of the complaints we get are about Wireshark quitting and usually (I think) it's from 32-bit users. Whether those users have more than 2 Gb of memory (RAM + swap) available is unknown, but these days I'd suspect yes.