Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Memory leaks when using epan

From: "Thierry Emmanuel" <Emmanuel.Thierry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 18:39:59 +0200

Hello,

As I wrote in some of my mails, I work on a project which made me to use the epan as a dissecting library, independently from the rest of the wireshark source.

I have some troubles with memory handling. I have huge memory leaks when I decode multicast streams (because there are lots of packets to dissect of course :) ).

This kind of use isn't common, nor documented, so I must have made some errors in my implementation or even in the structure of my wrappers.

So I have some questions to the wireshark gurus :

Do you see some reason, for example in my code, that could cause such memory leaks ?

I have supposed that the whole memory used to build the proto_tree wasn't free'd when I called proto_tree_free, do you free its content by another way ?

Is there a way to force dissectors and the rest of Wireshark code to release this memory ?

You’ll find my code and the last lines of the valgrind output joined to my message.

Best regards