Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] in linux works......in windows not!??

From: "Manthos S." <s.manthos@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 12:21:59 +0200
Thank you for your answer!

1. yes , it is a permanently allocated string.
2. actually i used col_append_str() for appending something. At the beginning i used col_add_str(), as i getted adviced from the developer guide. I wrote "col_set_str()" by mistake in my first email. Apologise!  Thanks for the tip anyway!

windows debugger: Thanks i will check it!

FYI:
I loosed my problem actually by adding the col_append_str() routines before the " if (tree) {...}" in my dissector.
But my question remains.....why was it working in linux but in windows not???

If you feel like giving your answer here, thanks in advance!

Cheers
Manthos

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 11:47 PM, Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Manthos S. wrote:
> Dear experts,
>
> i wanted to append something to the Info-Column of my dissector. I did it
> with:
>
>         if(check_col(pinfo->cinfo, COL_INFO))
>           col_set_str(pinfo->cinfo, COL_INFO, " something");
>
> ..and in linux worked perfect! I checked it out to my repository, booted
> with windows, made svn update, compiled in windows, copied the
> .dll......but  no result.(???)
> No errors or warnings at all!
> What could be the reason?

1. Is " something" a permanently allocated string ??

 From the source ...
/* Use this if "str" points to something that will stay around (and thus
   needn't be copied). */
void
col_set_str(column_info *cinfo, const gint el, const gchar* str)

2. if (check_col()) is no longert needed since the check is done in
col_set_str.

> How could i launch wireshark from the console in the same thread like linux
> for debugging?

See the wireshark wiki for info on using the Windows VC debugger.

Essentially: you open Wireshark exe as a "project" in the VC IDE and
then set breakpoints and etc.