Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Profiles and Configurations

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 15:15:54 -0400
Wireshark can be run with command-line arguments.  Maybe creating different batch files with all your configured command-line args will help you accomplish what you want?  See the following for more details:

http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsug_html/#ChCustCommandLine
http://www.wireshark.org/docs/man-pages/wireshark.html

As for your other questions,
http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsug_html/#ChCustConfigProfilesSection is probably the best place to start.  Once you have a profile created, set all your preferences, etc. how you want for that profile.  As indicated in the user guide, invoke the profile by Edit -> Configuration Profiles (or CTRL-SHIFT-A) -> (make selection) -> OK, or by clicking on the Profile in the bottom right corner of the status bar, or by specifying the profile to use on the command-line.  Interfaces are the same as any other preference.  Change the default interface to be what you want for that profile.  E.g., Edit -> Preferences -> Capture -> Default Interface -> (make selection) -> OK.  Specify the profile you want first, then make all the options, preferences and other selections while that profile is active.

The only way I know to copy an existing profile is to do so outside of Wireshark by making a copy of the folder.  To do that, go to %APPDATA%\Wireshark\Profiles\ either through the GUI or the command-line and copy the entire folder of interest.  Once copied, the profile is immediately available in Wireshark for further customizing.

Hopefully this helps.
- Chris
P.S. Perhaps the wireshark-users mailing list is a better place for most of these questions?  If after discussing this topic there you find some missing/incorrect functionality, then feel free to bring it to the developers' attention here.  Thanks and good luck.