Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Feeding data to Wireshark in real time

From: kahou lei <kahou82@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 22:52:10 -0700
Hi Guy,

Thanks for you reply.

I don't understand what you mean by "giving the pathname of the named
pipe as the name of the network interface on which to capture". Can
you give me an example?

I have followed the c++ example on
http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/Pipes. I couldn't get it works.
Am I missing something here?

Thanks,
Kahou

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 23:48:16 -0700

On Mar 16, 2010, at 10:11 PM, Jaap Keuter wrote:

That's called a pipe.

To give some more detail:

if the application writes a pcap file (complete with file header!) to
a named pipe, you can have Wireshark or TShark
capture from that named pipe, by giving the pathname of the named pipe