Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Adding own dissector to the asn1.dll

From: Anders Broman <anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 11:03:58 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Petr Kovár
Sent: den 2 mars 2010 10:48
To: Developer support list for Wireshark
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Adding own dissector to the asn1.dll

>Thanks, Anders, for your reply. The page http://wiki.wireshark.org/ASN1_plugin is missing information about
>development under Windows platform.
>
>I've compared now the contents of the development  and non-development version of Wireshark and it seems the
>asn.1 dissectors are included in the libwireshark.dll, because their names are included in this library, and the >asn1.dll itself serves only for general processing of the ASN.1 procotols. Is this a true assumption ?
>
> If yes, how is it possible then to export asn.1-based  dissector out from Wireshark development version ?
>
>Thanks, P.

I'm not sure I understand the questions but:
The asn1 plugin is sort of abandoned and I don't know if any one uses it any longer it's years since I looked at it last but I think you may have needed another
Tool to process your ASN1 files and you would only get some basic dissection out of it for BER encoded protocols.

If you need your ASN1 based protocol as a plugin the simple way of doing it is to generate the the .c and possible .h files copy them to
Your private plugin directory and create all the needed "suport" files makefiles etc as any plugin would need.

Regards
Anders