Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark cannot initiate

From: Alvin Jiang <macintoshyster@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 22:35:55 +0800
Hi all,

I've been using Wireshark/Ethereal on my laptop for over 2 years, it's a great tool for me.

However, I found it cannot initiate today.
When I try to run it, the initial GUI comes out, but the dissector registering process always shows 0%. Meanwhile, wireshark will take 100% CPU resource.
So I tried to kill wireshark process via MS Windows Task Manager, strangely, this process cannot be killed, system prompt 'The operation could not be completed. Access is denied'.
I even used the 'Process Explorer' to kill wireshark process, but still failed.
I uninstalled the version 1.2.3 and reinstalled the latest version 1.2.5, reinstalled WinPcap 4.1.1, but the problem still there.
I can only restart my laptop to release the CPU resource.

My Operating System is Windows 2000 SP4.
And I'm just wondering if this problem has something to do with my installation of Symantec pcAnywhere today, because wireshark worked perfectly yesterday.

My question is: could I run wireshark in 'debug' mode to find where the problem is Or is there any logs I can refer to in order to resolve this problem?
Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--
Best regards,