Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] How to extract a string

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 08:15:25 +0100
Hi,

Anders is right, neither highlighted 0x06 nor 0x05 gives you the string length.
Leaves you with FT_STRINGZ to display the string in the protocol tree.

Thanks,
Jaap

Anders Broman wrote:
Hi,

 From the picture below it looks like you are reading the length from offset

0x43 the bytes would then be; starting with the high lighted 0x06 which is high lighted by

By proto_add_item with length 1.

06 05 44 72 61 6d 61 65 6e 67 00

Loc_name length would then be 0x0605 as you are reading two octets with tvb_get_ntohs()

Then you are adding the “string” 0x05 44 .. as offset is just moved one byte with a length of

0x0605 with proto_add_item probably causing a “malformed packets” as you are trying to read

outside of the tvb.

Best regards

Anders