Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] How to do a multi-packet dissector

From: Balint Reczey <balint.reczey@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 11:17:09 +0100
Hi,

From http://wiki.wireshark.org/Lua/Dissectors :

"Like dissectors written in C, Lua dissectors can use Wireshark's ability to reassemble TCP streams:

* To not use TCP reassembly, make your Lua dissector function return nothing (nil) or 0 (in case dissector can't dissect packet). * To request reassembly via the pinfo struct as described in README.developers, set pinfo.desegment_len and pinfo.desegment_offset (works from Wireshark 1.1.2)."

Cheers,
Balint

Morita, Bill wrote:
I am writing a Lua dissector for a streaming protocol that may spread a “record” over several TCP packets.

What is a reasonable approach to take with this type of situation??

Thanks in advance.

Bill Morita

Cube 1040

503-495-9513