Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Capture / decode 'CAN' messages ?

From: "Vellemans, Noel" <Noel.Vellemans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 13:55:46 +0100
Hi Michael,

Michael> What's about you?

Actually I'm building a new ARM-powered-BOARD.. At this current time the
PROTO-board is running ... and.. 'Read on'.

Michael> I didn't find the time to dig deeper into this by myself.

I must say I'm NEW to CAN, at this time I need to implement a CAN-DRIVER
for linux, and off-course I would like to grab-some-can-messages from
the 'wire'.

Some back-ground info: I've done a lot of protocol
{serial-RS422-RS485-RS232,spi/USB/ethernet/wireless/bluetooth..} stuff
but nothing for CAN 'yet', and this was the reason for asking this
'whish' on the wireshark-dev-list.

Michael> SocketCAN is only available for Linux. What could be done on
Windows platform?

For the Windows-platform there seems not to be an simple sulotion for
can.
BUT, if you have alook at the wireshark implementation for the USB
capture features... they are not really there for the windows users, why
would CAN need to be there ?

Michael> Dissecting CAN messages could be a bit tricky because there are
several higher level protocols (for example: Michael> CANopen, NMT, LSS,
etc...) How to distinguish them? Could this be done automatically (by a
smart
Michael> dissector) or should users configure (maybe by preference
options) which protocol to use?

I know its not an easy task, but .... would make life more easy.. For
people that need to log/diagnose can.

At this time... As said before I'm NEW to can, and its hard to tell (for
me) what needs to be there.

Regards,

Noel.

capturing and decoding CAN messages using Wireshark would be a great
help. I thought about this when I first heard about the new CAN socket
implementations, unfortunately,  What's about you?

Some things that should be considered:

SocketCAN is only available for Linux. What could be done on Windows
platform?

Dissecting CAN messages could be a bit tricky because there are several
higher level protocols (for example: CANopen, NMT, LSS, etc...) How to
distinguish them? Could this be done automatically (by a smart
dissector) or should users configure (maybe by preference options) which
protocol to use?

cheers
Michael

PS: If there are questions about CANopen protocol, feel free to ask. I
have dealt with it for quite a while.