Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Appropriate action on a protocol failure?

From: "J.C. Wren" <jcwren@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 16:24:09 -0500
My protocol payloads consists of one or more TLV (Type-Length-Values) sequences.  The dissector decodes the various TLVs.  Values represent various parameters to a commands.  Right now if a value is out of range, I use DISSECTOR_ASSERT() for the test.  I know this isn't the best way to do it, but I don't know what it is.  I do want to stop decoding the packet at this point, since it's likely everything following it is munged.  What's the suggestion course of action here?

Thanks!
--jc