Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Supported GTK versions [Was:rev 28690]

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 20:23:18 -0700

On Jun 11, 2009, at 5:18 PM, Joerg Mayer wrote:

I know we had this discussion only recently, but do we really want to
support platforms with an ancient version of gtk for the upcoming 1.2
and/or 1.3 branches of Wireshark? What is the gtk-developers position
on supporting such old versions? What is our position on supporting
possibly unsupported versions of gtk?

The main issue I see with older versions of GTK+ is that people with older {Linux distributions, BSD systems, Solaris-with-JDE} systems that have older versions of GTK+/GLib might want to compile Wireshark on those systems and might not want to have to install GLib and GTK+ themselves.

For people who want the bleeding edge of Wireshark (i.e., stuff from the main branch rather than the 1.2 branch), it might not be unreasonable to require that they also install a version of GLib/GTK+ closer to the bleeding edge, especially if the official release will come out at a time when systems that are distributed with older versions of GTK+ are likely to have been upgraded to releases with newer versions of GTK+.