Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Issues with most usage of GtkFileChooserDialog ?

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 15:32:25 -0400
Bill Meier wrote:

Packing a GtkFileChooserWidget into a standard dialog window along with OK/Cancel buttons & etc, should, I believe, allow Wireshark to handle the dialog window containing the file chooser just like it handles any other dialog window (and the way the GtkFileSelection window was handled):
connect callbacks to the OK/Cancel buttons & etc.

Bill Meier also wrote (in another EMail)
> I realized that I was doing as much editing as it would take to just
> write a file_chooser version of file_selection and use that instead.
>
> The file_chooser version would just put a GtkFGileChooserWidget in a
> normal Wireshark dialog window (as discussed previously).
>
> I've done a prototype version of such a file_chooser() and it worked
> AOK; I just about have a working production version.

Upodate
-------

1. The "production version" of a new file_chooser using
   GtkFileChooserWidget as described above didn't actually work as
   well as I would have liked so I've scrapped it for now.

2. I've committed changes to all but one of the files which use
   gtk_file_chooser_dialog (either directly or via file_selection).

   I've also queued the changes up for Wireshark 1.2.

   These changes mostly fix the issue of leaving a "dead" file_chooser
   dialog window open if a file open/read/write error occurs on the
   OK/Save or if a directory name is explicitly entered.
   (iax2 and rtp_analysis changes are more extensive).

   The remaining file: capture_file_dlg.c:
   a. There's a number of places in the code which would would need
      changes/testing/etc.

   b. File open/read/write errors are mostly handled correctly;
      (I'm not sure but file merge might leave a dead dialog
       window if a file error occurs).

   So: I'll leave capture_file_dlg.c well enough alone given that
       whatever issues exist in capture_file_dlg.c related to the
       use of the file chooser widget are relatively minor and have
       been there for some time.

3. I do have a "Plan B" for a file_chooser() replacement for
   file_selection(); I'll implement it and we'll see how it goes...

Bill