Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] offline dissection of network protocols

From: Selçuk Cevher <cevhers@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 15:23:37 +0300
Hi Everybody,

First of all, I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question.

How can I determine the protocol running on data link layer (i.e., Ethernet, Wi-Fi 802.11, etc) while analyzing packets in a "merged" dumped file with pcap format if the pcap file contains a mixture of packets with various data link layer protocols ?

libpcap has pcap_datalink(...) function allowing us to determine the data link layer protocol for live capture -- it gets this information directly from the actual network interface that is sniffed on.

However, in the case of offline analysis, it seems pcap_datalink() will not work since it is not possible to know what kind of interface those packets came from.

Any idea ?

Thanks.