Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Generic Plugin

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 16:17:54 -0700

On May 28, 2009, at 2:09 PM, Stephen Fisher wrote:

Taking this idea further.. what if we had a GUI interface that the
user/developer could pick apart packets with and sort them into the
right fields.  This could be very helpful when figuring out how to
dissect protocols in a capture file that have no dissector yet. Build a prototype dissector in this XML/LUA/other method and once everything is
figured out, then write it in C.

Or don't bother to write it in C, just leave it the way it is. We shouldn't treat only C dissectors as "real" dissectors.