Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Generic Plugin

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 15:09:44 -0600
On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 05:46:36PM +0530, Sachin Gupta wrote:

> I have written a Generic Wireshark Plugin, which can add new protocols
> in run time.

Taking this idea further.. what if we had a GUI interface that the
user/developer could pick apart packets with and sort them into the
right fields.  This could be very helpful when figuring out how to
dissect protocols in a capture file that have no dissector yet.  Build a
prototype dissector in this XML/LUA/other method and once everything is
figured out, then write it in C.

Steve