Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Reassembling: pinfo and 2 functions

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 10:12:05 -0700

On Apr 28, 2009, at 7:56 AM, gogrady@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

I am trying to reassembly my messages and am having a lot of trouble understanding how it works. I dont quite understand the process that it goes through and when to call functions / set variables. From looking at other dissectors it looks like these are the things to change:

gboolean fragmented;
guint16 can_desegment;
int desegment_offset;
guint32 desegment_len;

Those are used for TCP reassembly (reassembly over byte-stream protocols such as TCP is more complicated, as it needs the TCP dissector and the dissector for the protocol running over TCP to cooperate); if you're using tcp_dissect_pdus(), it will handle those pinfo fields for you, transparently.