Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Controller Area Network (CAN) + Wireshark?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 01:55:49 -0800

On Feb 16, 2009, at 11:47 PM, Németh Márton wrote:

does Wireshark currently support the Controller Area Network (CAN) [1] ?

There is a pcap DLT_ value assigned to CAN 2.0:

	/*
	 * Controller Area Network (CAN) v. 2.0B packets.
	 * DLT_ requested by Gianluca Varenni <gianluca.varenni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>.
	 * Used to dump CAN packets coming from a CAN Vector board.
	 * More documentation on the CAN v2.0B frames can be found at
	 * http://www.can-cia.org/downloads/?269
	 */
	#define DLT_CAN20B              190

and the Wiretap library in Wireshark maps that to WTAP_ENCAP_CAN20B.

However, there aren't any dissectors in the Wireshark source for CAN. Gianluca, are there any Wireshark dissectors for CAN? And what is the form of a packet with that link-layer type? That URL is a broken link.

In order for Wireshark to *capture* CAN traffic, there would have to be support for it in libpcap.

In Linux kernel the PF_CAN protocol is already supported [2], so I guess this
would be technically possible.

Is there a way in which you can "sniff" CAN traffic on Linux - "sniff" meaning "passively watch CAN traffic to and from the Linux box", rather than opening a socket to actively send and receive traffic? That's what would be required for libpcap support.