Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark dissector xml

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 13:12:09 -0800

On Nov 12, 2008, at 12:44 PM, rajith pr wrote:

Iam new to writing dissectors. While study one of the dissector code i found it reads a dictionary.xml file. Can somebody throw some light on to the usage of xml in dissecting.

XML isn't used generically in dissecting. The Diameter (RFC 3588) protocol has a message format with a simple fixed-length header followed by a list of attribute-value pairs; the set of attributes is extensible. The Wireshark Diameter dissector has a dictionary that contains descriptions of Diameter attributes; that dictionary happens to be an XML file.

The RADIUS (RFC 2865) protocol is similar to Diameter, in that its messages have a simple fixed-length header followed by a list of attribute-value pairs, and the Wireshark RADIUS dissector has a dictionary, but the dictionary is not an XML file (it's in the same format as the FreeRADIUS dictionary, so that the FreeRADIUS dictionary files can be used).