Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark as a hex viewer?
From: Jaap Keuter <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 14:29:15 +0000
Hi,

Try loading an MP3 file in Wireshark.

Thanx,
Jaap

Sent from my iPhone

On 8 nov 2008, at 13:56, yami <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi All,

I think Wireshark is a nice hex viewer as well as a packet analyzer, especially for those binary files which consist of several blocks, such as 'tar' format.
Editors which support editing hex file, usually only show binary
files in two parts: hex numbers and ascii strings. But wireshark can
also show a 'protocol tree' for such binary files.
 I've tried a prototype for this (by adding a new WTAP_FILE_ type,
and WTAP_ENCAP_ type), it seems that it is very easy to implement
the idea.
Any ideas?